Although originally intended to be a log church, the Chapel, constructed of Shrine-site beach stone, was built in the late 1930s.
The stone structures sheltering scenes of Christ's final hours of human life are part of a Catholic tradition of devotion called the Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross).
The Shrine causeway, limited to foot traffic, provides access to Shrine Island. The original causeway, set in place before the Chapel was constructed, was build with logs, rocks and fill.
The Shrine Columbarium was constructed on Shrine property overlooking Pearl Harbor in 1998.
Previous to the 1932 ground-breaking for the lodge, there was no building in Alaska suitable for the religious and laity to gather for retreats.
In the summer of 1938, a one-room log cabin with chapel was built and since that time, there have been several additions.
The Merciful Love prayer walk labyrinth was constructed in the spring of 2001.
Located just across Shrine Creek is a recycled asphalt walking path called the Good Shepherd Rosary/Grotto Trail which is wheelchair navigable.
The Gift Shop is currently located in the LeVasseur Cabin, named after the man who first envisioned this Shrine and was instrumental in promoting it, Fr. William G. LeVasseur, S.J.
Copyright © 2010 Shrine of Saint Therese
Home | About The Shrine | Visit the Shrine | Rentals | Event Planning & Services | Donations | Columbarium | Contact Us | FAQs | Special Events | Request a Reservation | Available Dates | Thank YouWeb Design by Zipline Interactive
415 Sixth Street
Juneau, AK 99801-1020